International Brigade A.K.A. "Hooker" - Unofficial Guide

How to counter freeze-flame? What to do against boardships? How to recact when the enemy team is organized and has a certain tactic? Discussion of tactics: here!

International Brigade A.K.A. "Hooker" - Unofficial Guide

Postby CurssseOfTheSea » 28.11.2011, 15:36

Before I start : Thank you Say_no_to_war and everyone who helped make Battleships what it is today. My favourite wc3 game by far!

So here's a guide on how to play International Brigade! :mrgreen:

First of all, why hooker?

- 100 damage/s with its onboard cannon (Though it needs levels to research)
- Hook is great to single out enemy, get friends out of trouble, stop enemies from escaping and much more…with 1000 damage dealt at maximum level and only 30s cool-down!!
- Barrier special stopping damage for 4 seconds on target
- If handled skillfully, the International Brigade A.K.A. Hooker is often one of the most deciding factors in the game.

What you need:
1. Good internet connection (If 200ms or less you're good to go!)
2. Someone with stunner on your team

What to do :?: (in chronological order):
-Start with sailor (Weak rep. basic canon or sail and something else instead of basic!)
-Save money until hooker 7k

Once you get hooker (whatever level you are by then): Get weapon systems on maximum level. Get hook on maximum level. If you still have points left invest 1 or 2 skill points in speed and then invest in hull points.

-Get normal wood
-Get goblin sail
-Get gold hull
-Get boulder canons (They are great for value and work well with the onboard weapon crew of the hooker due to their range)
-Mechanics crew
-Goblin wood when you see fit depending on opposite team strength. (If strong team better get goblin wood after 3 boulder canons for 1.6k each totaling 150dps or the equivalent in money spent on other weapons of choice (Boulder is great…just saying ^^).
Note that you may want to spend some money on weapons (Around 3k) before you get your gold hull. If so, be sure to have a stone hull in your inventory.

-In case you are confused about this set-up please watch my replay file. (shuffle-league, but strangely without any strong players...in case anyone wonders whether it was actually a qualify game - it wasn't)
That game I did not stick to "my usual script" and had a more aggressive approach by putting more weight on weapons. It is up to you to decide how aggressive you wish to play with the International Brigade, but from personal experience too much aggression is never good. :roll:

:!: TIPS:
-It often helps to use sight settings such as typing: “-far” “-a9” etc…If the lighting gets bad as you zoom out too far just change your brightness setting under options. Type “-reset” to cancel zoom.

-Easiest to hook non-moving targets. Trickier to predict enemies movements!

-Use your hook as often as possible! 30second cool-down is great and it does 1k damage if successful.

-Be sure to use hooker to feed off sailors if there are any left by the time you get it and always try to hook the weakest link! :mrgreen:

-Hook teammates out of trouble and make sure you use your barricade effectively i.e. when teammates are dying or right before the enemy attempts to use a spell on them! You can even hook players out of maelstrom and while they are boarded :)

-There are a lot of spots on the map where players tend to go. Watch some replays to see where the enemy likes to hide and use it to your advantage while using hooker. Hooking behind the rocks at the Swedish repair wood WEST SIDE is a great way to hook players hiding in their base.
The same applies to all situations. Often hooking from positions where the enemy least expects it can be more effective than hooking from the front.

-Certain obstacles (Dodos, Shops, towers block hooks!!)

-Troll destroyer 7k, Stormwind 10k, Interceptor 1.2k will cause your hook to do 0 damage if their auto-counter ability is not on cool-down

-If the enemy is slow and you are chasing e.g. a dying small sailor and you are faster here is what to do to kill them with hook:
Do not aim the hook at them directly. Aim into empty space in front of them and slightly to the side then run past and slightly in front of them so the hook slaps them in the back as it coils back. Takes a bit of practice to get the knack of this trick but it works wonders believe me!

-Make sure you do plenty of damage with your onboard cannon so always be in range for it to hit the enemy since its range is not the best. Not sure about the specifics, but I believe around mid 700ish ^^.

Ships&Hooker tactics

The notorious "Double Hook"

What you need is 2 Hookers (The International Brigade 7k and the 14k strike-ship.). The brigade hooks an enemy ship then the strike-ship hooks it even further away into your base to stop him from running away. As soon as the strike-ship gets the hook it starts boarding to stop any chance of survival. :wink: Works great if done right!

The vicious "X Marks My Hook"

The 10k barque works wonders with the hooker! Use X marks with the barque to mark on the water where the ship will appear after the 3s delay. Torrent needs to be there as soon as the ship appears without a split-second delay so good timing is needed! At the same time the hooker hurls his hook towards the red X to snatch away the enemy. Greatly increases the chances of a successful hook and is great fun (Looks as if the enemy is flying through the air! :P ) Also, X and double hooks go well together!

Troll destroyer, herbal medication and slowing specials

The earthquake of the troll destroyer works wonders to slow down enemies. Use this to your advantage whilst you are playing hooker as it creates some easy slow-moving targets. The same applies for the ganja ship weed smoking technique and other specials such as whirlwind, poison, triple orb explosion...

A quick stun to stop the run

Once you hook the enemy he will usually try to go back as quickly as possible to his friends. To stop this from happening you could get a net (never tried it, as I usually count on team to do that) :shock: :P or have one of your teammates play with Own Construction Schtoepsel, Asian ship, Barque, Overlord, Trireme...The list is endless.
It always helps to have winter winds from an oc, cloudship or storm-wind to decrease the enemy's movement as they move back.

Flares & Helicopters

Whether from a humble bombardier's flare or the mighty rainbow warrior's spawn ships the options are endless, but everything comes down to pretty much the same thing. Having sight of the enemy is the best thing that can happen to a hooker! "Blind" hooks are stabs in the dark and hardly as effective. Luck and intuition is needed for those, but if neither of those are your strong points then seeing the enemy instead of leaving everything to chance is always better. :wink:

To conclude things, I want to give a big shout out to all the players that inspired me to write this especially ssr12, Seoman, scotty, el-trickser, TheGayDutchMen and I-Iuzzl3. My thoughts are with you as I write this!

So without further ado, please enjoy the replay (just to give you a taste of hooking) or check out some of the screenshots I took from it to save yourself some time :) . Later that game I got myself the 14k strike-ship for more fun hooking…

Some fun facts about the game: -South Empire got the most kills and we didn’t even upgrade anything. :P GO SOUTH!!!
-Our AFK was kicked after 20 minutes.

HOPE YOU ENJOY!
CurssseOfTheSea
Attachments
Hooker Example Game.w3g
(538.83 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
WC3 hook 2.png
WC3 hook 2.png (676.48 KiB) Viewed 30457 times
WC3 hook1.png
WC3 hook1.png (621.33 KiB) Viewed 30457 times
WC3 hook.png
WC3 hook.png (632.77 KiB) Viewed 30457 times
Last edited by CurssseOfTheSea on 21.12.2011, 06:46, edited 5 times in total.

Du drückst die High-Heels aufs Pedal;
jetzt geht's so richtig ab.
CurssseOfTheSea
Galleon

Re: International Brigade A.K.A. "Hooker" - Unofficial Guide

Postby Say_No_to_War » 29.11.2011, 12:03

Wow! Nice tutorial, thanks!

CurssseOfTheSea wrote:1. Good internet connection (If 200ms or less you're good to go!)

I saw people from clan dodo (korea) hooking with a ping of 350 - and they won (mainly) cause of the perfect hooks. :)
Say_No_to_War
Pearl

Postby CurssseOfTheSea » 29.11.2011, 13:53

Well Korea has great Internet and I suppose 350ms is still fine. :P Not ideal, but it won't stop you from hooking.
My usual 500ms will though so I never play hooker whenever I'm home in China haha.
I'm happy to hear that you like it and thanks for commenting! :mrgreen:

+ Would also like to add that Korean gaming with the usual 100 clicks per second might just be able to handle hookers no matter how laggy things get. :wink:

If anyone else happens to stumble on this topic please do leave a comment below! :P

However bad or good the things are you have to say please post it haha. :twisted: bring on the hate if you must.

CurssseOfTheSea
Galleon

Postby Seoman » 11.12.2011, 20:35

Yeah as Say_no said already: A really nice tutorial.

You're just wrong in one thing: Counter (Troll Destroyer, Stormwind, Interceptor) doesn't prevent one from hooking. I'm not quite sure, if you still do your 1k dmg (though I think so), but you pull him the same way, as every other ship.^^
Seoman
Normandier

Postby I-Iuzzl3 » 12.12.2011, 21:39

Hey
I just noticed that i didnt comment yet so i'll do so now ;)

I like the tutorial too, everything is well explained with many tips or strategies, like for example seaquake/ganjasmoke or the barque's spells, good job :D

The only thing I think different about is the thing with talenting your skills:
you said wep systems and the hook to max and then 1-2 on sails, rest on I-Iull
I usually skill sails first (after wep and hook ofc ) and hull AFTER lvl 6 sails, but maybe i just misunderstood you or its probably good to skill hull early ( but i can't imagine that )

Anyway I can only repeat saying: nice tutorial ^^

I-Iuzzl3
I-Iuzzl3
Fallen-Kings Pride

Postby CurssseOfTheSea » 13.12.2011, 09:35

Dear all,

Thanks for all the positive feedback!! :P

@Seoman
Thanks a lot - I made the adjustment in the guide. :)
You're just wrong in one thing: Counter (Troll Destroyer, Stormwind, Interceptor) doesn't prevent one from hooking. I'm not quite sure, if you still do your 1k dmg (though I think so), but you pull him the same way, as every other ship.^^

If the auto-counter is on you don't do 1k damage and the auto-counter ability cool-down is reset.

@I-Iuzzl3
I usually skill sails first (after wep and hook ofc ) and hull AFTER lvl 6 sails, but maybe i just misunderstood you or its probably good to skill hull early ( but i can't imagine that )

In my opinion, by getting a goblin sail as soon as possible there is usually no need for more than level 2 ship sails unless they have winter winds. Towers are still upright and you won't be chasing across the whole map in early-game so where is the need for speed? If you are looking for sailor kills then level 2 is just fine. If you find yourself being outpaced by enemies then invest more in sails, but I usually find that this is never the case. Even with level 2 sails. :D (Assuming there are no gold hull sailors at this stage of the game haha)
And yet, this is only a personal preference and I found it works best for me in games so it might not work that well for you. No game is the same and I sometimes go straight to level 6 sails if I'm giving things a more aggressive approach or find a balance somewhere in between the two extremes. Level 6 sails might work best for you each time. Skilling hull a bit before I go all the way to level 6 ship sails is just something that works well with my style of play.

CurssseOfTheSea
Galleon

Postby ssr12 » 26.02.2012, 22:38

First of all very nice guide dude 8)

Personally i prefer to lvl up onboard cannon first, then hook then sails then hull. Ure pretty much unkillable early on anyway. And I feel like for chasing small ships with ur onboard cannon speed never hurts.

U could mark ur favorite spots to hook or the enemies favorite spots to hide. If somebody could provide screenshots from the main Isle. I would gladly help with this.
Another trick u can use if ure in the north team. Imagine weakened enemies fleeing to their repair station. The fastest way to the southern repair station is by going by close either left or right of the southern isle. So u just have to predict which way and when hes gonna pass that way, u dont have to predict where hes gonna go. Heres I marked the two ways green they can possibly take.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Could show that better with real screenshots from the southern Isle. Dont know how to make em myself :P
ssr12
Galleon

Postby TheGayDutchMen » 27.02.2012, 20:48

use; Printscreen key right top of your keyboard,
then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Screenshots or something alike where you installed it and voila.. you got your screenshots =D
TheGayDutchMen
Fallen-Kings Pride

Postby ssr12 » 27.02.2012, 20:58

Mhh cant find any printscreen button on this laptop :P.
If somebody could provide them woulda be awesome. Common Community!
ssr12
Galleon

Postby el-trickser » 28.02.2012, 02:33

you should have a button called "Druck" then :wink:
el-trickser
Galleon

Postby CurssseOfTheSea » 29.02.2012, 13:09

Thanks ssr12 :) !

And for printscreen:

Ctrl + Prnt Scrn

Then Ctrl + V (Paste) while having a paint program file open. Next save as and upload the file as an attachment.

Hope that helped,
Curssse

CurssseOfTheSea
Galleon

Postby ssr12 » 29.02.2012, 17:45

"druck" button doesnt work neither does ctrl druck or ctrl print or whateva... If its that easy could u just make em urself and upload them? pls? :roll:
ssr12
Galleon

Postby Say_No_to_War » 21.06.2012, 03:45

thanks for this nice tutorial!!!
Say_No_to_War
Pearl

Postby Dracoel » 28.10.2013, 13:24

A well made guide, as it there is some forgotten things ^^.
You could also spoke about :
-trading : hook for help RAW WOOD
-late game build (better long range and only ship weapon + 1/2 microwave)
-weapon build variety (subcommander marcos, Chaos hammer)
-a map with good hooking spot
-a simple trick regarding opponent : when they are in difficulty they tempt to escape in right lane, this way it's easily predictable to know where to hook them
-playing with a +400ms ping is necessary to perform hook : this way you perform faster, learn faster opponent movement

Sight gave with spawn isn't really good as they come to often in front of hook.
A good hooker don't need any sight ;o).

Tempted to wrote an anti-hook guide ;o).
Dracoel
Fallen-Kings Pride

Return to Battleships Crossfire tactics-discussion